Chief Operating Officer
The Chief Operating Officer is senior-level position with responsibility for (i) overseeing day-to-day operations for the organization; (ii) managing programming, education, and advocacy activities; (iii) supervising the organization’s staff and volunteers; and (iv) maintaining communication with external stakeholders, including donors. In short, the COO will ‘make the trains run on time’ and ensure that Yay Bikes! operates as efficiently, professionally, and equitably as possible.
This is an exciting hire for the organization. We have grown rapidly in recent years, becoming the premier bike advocacy non-profit in Central Ohio, with a strong reputation statewide. The COO will ensure stability/support in our existing programs and work closely with the Executive Director to grow the organization further. In particular, the hire will plan and oversee our How We Roll, Ride Buddy, Bike the Cbus, and Year of Yay! rides, the Yay Valet program; and other events.
This is a full-time, salaried, year-round position that reports directly to the Executive Director. Occasional weekend/evening availability is required, as well as some in-state travel (less than 5%).
The position has three primary responsibilities:
- Manage day-to-day operations of the Yay Bikes! office, including:
- Supervise staff to ensure timely completion of essential administrative and communicative functions, in particular relative to donors
- Evaluate and manage organization of physical space
- Coordinate and deliver programs, including:
- Plan and oversee all events and programs to ensure their smooth delivery
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers with appropriate encouragement and accountability mechanisms, and ensure they are resourced adequately for a comfortable, meaningful service experience
- Communicate with outside partners and sponsors to ensure required resources are available for all events
- Oversee marketing and communication for all events
- Assist in delivery of programming as necessary
- Work with Executive Director to identify and develop new opportunities for organizational growth and development
Passion for the Yay Bikes! mission
At least 3 years experience loving the heck out of working in a supervisory capacity
Significant experience geeking out on the nitty gritties of project management
Excellent editing, verbal, and written communication skills
Willingness to work occasional evenings, weekends, and long days
A detail-oriented, extraverted, and self-motivated personality that projects our organizational values of integrity, excellence, boldness, and kindness
Ability to ride a bicycle at least 20 miles at a pace of 11 mph in all seasons, on roads with cars. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Knowledge of bicycle and pedestrian advocacy and/or transportation or health planning
Proficiency with spreadsheets and databases (preferably a CRM tool)
Experience working in nonprofit or government sector
The position offers a competitive annual salary based on experience, and health insurance.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and cover letter to Catherine Girves (email@example.com) by February 6. Submissions will be considered on a rolling basis; those invited to interview should plan to be available February 9-11th.